Monday, March 26, 2012

The New Creative Blog

I've been meaning to start a "Creative" blog for some time but have been procrastinating as usual.

I've been working and playing in the creative world for practically my whole life. I decided at age 8 that I wanted to be an artist when I grew up – not that I had much in the way of any 'natural' talent – I just loved being creative... with pens, pencils, crayons, felt tips, paint... you name it.

Amazingly, I've been working – and surviving, as a freelance Graphic Designer in Auckland since 1986. Before this I served an apprenticeship as a sheet-fed printer starting in 1980, after all my efforts at getting into a "Graphic Artist" position had failed. I started off learning letterpress printing techniques which introduced me to different ways of being creative. It was more mechanical than anything else I'd done before – it was great, I loved it!

I soon learned the value of turning my art into something commercially viable. It's something I'm still working on today — 3 decades later.

My reasons for creating this blog are firstly as an outlet for showing off some of the things I've done in the past and am doing currently. But I've also been told that blogging can be good for business and that if anything's being created for commercial reasons, people eventually need to know about it.

So, I hope that what I have to show and tell will be of interest and I welcome any feedback. I'll be creating links to examples of work I've done that are already on the internet and to sites where, if you like what I've done enough, you might even like to purchase something.

Please feel free to comment.

Thanks for visiting my blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment